logo

Forums allow you you to communicate directly with other Second Wind members and receive their advice or guidance on any topic. This is a great way to tap into the power of our community which includes thousands of agency principals and employees.

Add a new Topic
Select Category:

Freelance Contractor vs. Employee

FORUMS

• Recent Posts
  • Most Recent
  • Most Active
  • Categories
4 posts
hope262
Report Abuse

Looking for policy and/or guidelines for long term freelancers.  I want to ensure we are meeting guidelines as to what constitutes a freelancer vs. employee.  A few of the freelancers do not want a full time position, but how do I ensure there are no issues in the future if we no longer need the freelancer.  Are long term freelancers standard in this industry?

Thanks!

Member 215
Report Abuse

Hi Hope,

I'll email you some contracts and agreements we have for freelancers.

Melissa

hope262
Report Abuse

Thanks Melissa!

I printed a few contracts/agreements I found on the site and we have all freelancers sign an agreement, however, my concern regards long term freelancers.  3 of our freelancers were previous employees:

1 - laid off in March of 2011; came back to freelance, was talked to about permanent position at a lower rate as designer vs art director - doesn't seem interested

1 - quit to go make shoes in Milan, came back and asked to work part time as freelancer, however, she is working 40+ hours a week most weeks

1 - quit in March because she wanted more time with her children; agreed to work freelance 24 hours a week, but works on average 36-40 hours a week

We also have a young Jr Designer, says she is not interested in full time position, but if work slows and she goes for unemployment; what can we do to ensure it is not determined she is an employee?

No benefits for freelancers (medical, disability, life, PTO, holiday, etc.)

Issued 1099-Misc at the end of each year

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

lauriekay
Report Abuse

Hi Hope:

Following is a link to an article about freelancer status. It also includes the freelancer rules published by the IRS.

https://www.secondwindonline.com/the-coming-crisis-in-freelancer-time?journal=137

Give me a call if you want to talk.

Laurie

610-374-9093

Please to use this feature.
posts for website administrator (optional):