logo

Forums allow you you to communicate directly with other Second Wind members and receive their advice or guidance on any topic. This is a great way to tap into the power of our community which includes thousands of agency principals and employees.

Add a new Topic
Select Category:
AE College: Spring

Product or company names

FORUMS

• Recent Posts
  • Most Recent
  • Most Active
  • Categories
5 posts
JohnElisco
Report Abuse

When we develop product or company names, we run a basic word mark search on the US Patent and Trademark Office web site, then we check ICANN for URLs. If the name passes both of these, we present it to the client — and encourage them to have their law firm also review the names.

Before you present any names, what are your best practices — short of hiring an attorney?

Member 215
Report Abuse

Hi John,

Second Wind offers trademark services to our members. This includes trademark searches as well as registration. We can search the federal and state databases as well as pending trademarks. This search covers a bit more ground than the free search on the USPTO website. We only charge $250 and can usually turn around within 48 hours. If you have any questions or would like to discuss further, please call me directly.

Thanks,

Melissa
Second Wind Research
610-374-9093

JeffKlingberg
Report Abuse

Melissa,

That is interesting. We had a meeting with a prospective client last week that mentioned trademarking a slogan and talking to his attorney. How does your service compare to going to an attorney to do a trademark?

Member 215
Report Abuse

Hi Jeff,

Unlike patents, you are not required to work with an attorney on trademark searches or registrations. We follow the same process an attorney would from filing to complete registration. I'd say the main benefit of working with an attorney would be a readily available legal opinion should the need arise during the registration process.

Let me know if you have other questions. Feel free to reach out to me directly, melissa@secondwindonline.com

Melissa

Lisa Kemerer
Report Abuse

Thanks for submitting this question Jeff - it's great to know that it's something we can leverage Second Wind for. We don't encounter this often but it does come up.

Please to use this feature.
posts for website administrator (optional):