logo

Forums allow you you to communicate directly with other Second Wind members and receive their advice or guidance on any topic. This is a great way to tap into the power of our community which includes thousands of agency principals and employees.

Add a new Topic
Select Category:
AE College: Spring

Shutterstock

FORUMS

• Recent Posts
  • Most Recent
  • Most Active
  • Categories
6 posts
Janice Tippett
Report Abuse

We have been using Shutterstock for years. Recently we have been contacted that we can no longer use their plans shown here https://www.shutterstock.com/subscribe as an agency.

We are being told we have to go to a different plan and pay $2000 upfront for 500 photos.

Anyone else experience this with Shutterstock.

lauriekay
Report Abuse

Hi Janice:

I have not had this conversation with any other members but I'm sure it will come up as the months progress. It looks like Shutterstock may be changing/monitoring their plan types to account for multiple users and are changing the licensing to be more in line with the way agencies/creative entities use images. There has been so much dialogue between agencies and stock houses regarding usage rights that I'm not surprised this is happening.

I'll keep my eye on it and have one of our writer create an article as we learn more about what these changes mean for agencies (other than higher costs).

Laurie

lauriekay
Report Abuse

As a side note, I just spoke with Jenny in our office and she said our plan with Getty is "custom" because our usage does not fall into their standard types of agreements. She works with a rep to build our plan based on how many images we may need and how we will use them.

Dennis
Report Abuse

Janice - We dropped Shutterstock a few years back in favor of a ThinkStock subscription. ThinkStock is owned by Getty (although Shutterstock might be too) and their selection and the overall quality of images is way better than I remember Shutterstock having. We are billed monthly ( a bit over $200/per month) and get 700-750 images (can't remember which it is) per month. Unused images don't rollover, but it's never been an issue since they switched to the model.

Good luck

RButler
Report Abuse

We used ThinkStock for quite a while a few years ago but I've been redirecting our art directors elsewhere for a while now. Our issue with Thinkstock is the inability to hand the working files over to our client when requested. No amount of extended rights they offer would cover that. We use Getty, Stocksy and iStock and buy on a per image basis. One for being able to bill the image cost back to the client and to purchase the extended rights, if needed. We also use Shutterstock but either purchase their 2 or 5 image packs at a time to be able to bill back the cost.

DebB_SW
Report Abuse

As of right now, Getty does not own Shutterstock. But Getty tends to acquire image companies if they become large enough to compete directly for Getty's customers. Shutterstock may be reassessing their pricing/licensing to ensure they can remain independent, and have been doing some acquiring of their own, which calls for revenue. Let's hope they don't adopt another Getty strategy, of suing over (usually false) copyright violations.

https://www.secondwindonline.com/stock-photo-bullies-dealing-with-copyright-violation-claims

Please to use this feature.
posts for website administrator (optional):