logo

Forums allow you you to communicate directly with other Second Wind members and receive their advice or guidance on any topic. This is a great way to tap into the power of our community which includes thousands of agency principals and employees.

Add a new Topic
Select Category:

Cloud Servers?

FORUMS

• Recent Posts
  • Most Recent
  • Most Active
  • Categories
10 posts
Dennis
Report Abuse

For the past several years our creative department has working on a shared internal server - RAID array and an on-line back-up - overall it's worked great for us but are possibly switching to DropBox's Advanced Team as a replacement. The advantage to Dropbox is unlimited storage, the ability to access files off-site, redundancy, etc... About two weeks in we are beginning to run into a few snags and wonder is anyone else using DropBox Advance Team or found an alternate cloud-based server solution. Thanks!

terry4182
Report Abuse

Hey Dennis - we do not use DropBox, we have an internal server. We use the Synology brand server as it has a lot of built-in capabilities, including easy remote access, even from your phone. The drives will fill up at some point so we will just purchase new larger ones and hot swap them. If the largest available drives fill up we can just daisy chain another box. We don't do an on-line remote backup although that can be done with Synology. We just do a twice per week back up to a drive that is then taken off-site in between backups. Not what you asked for but maybe something to consider.

Dennis
Report Abuse

Terry - Thanks for input. We are in a server set-up now and thought moving to a cloud-based solution might be the way to go, but  I'm starting to wonder if physical servers just make more sense for our world. How does your team access files remotely? I'm assuming people securely connect to the servers,  download  the assets to their machines and then upload (overwriting) the revisions when revised?

Scott Millen
Report Abuse

Dennis, we're in a similar setup with Synology, but we need to update our NAS box soon, as we're running out of capacity for the second time in two years. So I'll either get an expansion box for our older NAS or will buy a new NAS. Synology NAS systems have an OS that runs effectively like a server, and one of the features is Dropbox-like functionality. They use a wacky https:// protocol to relay the login, but essentially your workflow is correct: login, download, work, upload. We do version control on docs, however, so there is never any overwrites. I'd like to see the Dropbox-like features work more effectively, but this has been the most secure (and fastest), and cost-effective option.

bill2935
Report Abuse

Dennis:

We are a media planning & buying agency- Capstone Media.  I reviewed various on-line cloud servers a couple of years ago to replace our in-house server e.g. amazon, google, OneDrive, DropBox and a few others.  We settled on Box.net (not to be confused with DropBox).  Take a look, this may give you the functionality you are looking for.

terry4182
Report Abuse

Hey Dennis - sorry for my late reply. It works as Scott described - you have a separate url you access with UN and PW that gives you access to all files. Our creative staff typically works here in the office but we also practice version control so no overwrites if they do work remotely.

Dennis
Report Abuse

Thanks to all for your input. Sounds like Synology might be a pretty strong option for us too.

terry4182
Report Abuse

The prices are very reasonable too Dennis. lmk if you have any more questions or would like to have a call. terry.mooney@evokad.com

matt_sattler
Report Abuse

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your experiences with these NAS systems and cloud-based service options.

Our agency (about a dozen employees and outsourced contractors) has historically gone the NAS route with a RAID hard drive array to safeguard against data loss in the event of a hard drive failure. We provide VPN access for anyone who needs to work on files remotely. We routinely deal with dropped remote connections and other remote login slowdowns, so it's been an imperfect solution.

Has anyone found a cloud-based system that works well with Creative Cloud files? My understanding is that cloud storage is officially unsupported by Adobe except through Adobe's proprietary cloud storage that is included with Creative Cloud individual & team subscriptions. We experimented with that and it works with Creative Cloud files, but it doesn't really let you bulk upload nested folders, so file management (especially of non-Creative Cloud files) would be extremely time-consuming.

What we're really trying to find is a cloud-based solution that will 1) play nicely with Creative Cloud files, and 2) support a standard file structure so that we could just upload our existing NAS file directory to the cloud service and begin using it. Maybe Box.net will work; thank you Bill for this recommendation.

Brenda Peterson
Report Abuse

We are in a very similar boat to a lot of these questions and challenges. The questions Matt Sattler posed in his post from two weeks ago are very similar to questions we have. Instead of re-posting those questions, I would like to bring attention back to this post and see if there is any input from followers. The additional challenge we have at the agency is we are a mac/PC split - we have about 6 people on macs and 8 people on PCs so trying to find software that is compatible with both is a focus area as well.

Please to use this feature.
posts for website administrator (optional):