logo

Forums allow you you to communicate directly with other Second Wind members and receive their advice or guidance on any topic. This is a great way to tap into the power of our community which includes thousands of agency principals and employees.

Add a new Topic
Select Category:
AE College: Spring

Advice on Running Daily Stand-Up Meetings

FORUMS

• Recent Posts
  • Most Recent
  • Most Active
  • Categories
6 posts
Steve Gentile
Report Abuse

I wanted to know if anyone has implemented a successful process for daily stand-up meetings and would be willing share what is involved. Stand-up meetings where the project managers or account people are communicating with the creative team to make sure everyone is on the same page and timelines are met. Currently, I do not have a traffic manager. Looking for insight on:

Does one person lead the meetings and everyone interjects when it’s time to discuss “their projects”?
Is there a specific form (print or digital) that is used? If so, what information is on this form and how/where is it distributed?
Obviously, sh*t happens, how are rush projects and fire drills integrated/absorbed into this overall process?
How long should these meetings last? and what level of detail is most efficient to share in the interest of time?

Any approach, documentation, process etc. would be appreciated, thanks.

Member 215
Report Abuse

Hi Steve,

There was a forum post on this topic a few years ago. Following is a link. Mary Kate (a fellow SAIL attendee) had some great suggestions and left a number for follow up questions. Let me know if this helps.

https://www.secondwindonline.com/forums/17/12198

Melissa

Shannon Welch
Report Abuse

I have worked at several jobs where we ran daily meetings:

- The Traffic Manager was responsible for pulling report of items for the day.

- We went through each creative team member and they were responsible for 1) knowing what was on their list, 2) raising any issues, 3) notifying the group if they were overloaded and wouldn't be able to complete their list. If they were good for the day, that was all that they needed to say.

- The account service team would then be able to speak to anything that they expected to come through.

We had a full team of close to 40 people and these meetings were never longer than 30 minutes.

Alyson Kallmeyer
Report Abuse

Hi Steve,

We have been using standing up meetings since September. They have been very successful keeping projects on track and is great for team building. In answer to your questions:

We hold our meetings most days from 10:15 to 10:30 am.  As traffic manager I lead the meeting and use a print out of all projects/tasks from our project management software, Currenttrack (easy to use and very cost effective). I go through the list and highlight the jobs that need to be discussed. As traffic manager I know what we can skip over. When i bring a job up, the AE or the PM gives us an update. The best thing about it is we all get on the same page with one thing in mind, and that is delivering to the client. So if there is a fire drill, we are all aware. We don't get into to much detail, it's really just updating. Details can be shared with whomever is involved after the daily status meeting.

Hope this helps.

Alyson

Member 3188
Report Abuse

Hey Steve, Atlassian is a software company, but has many resources on agile development, which is very close to what you are doing.

We specifically use the Kanban style. https://www.atlassian.com/agile/kanban

Here is what they say about the Daily stand-up ceremonies.

Attendees

Required: development team, scrum master, product owner
Optional: team stakeholders

When: Once per day, typically in the morning.

Duration: No more than 15 minutes. Don't book a conference room and conduct the stand up sitting down. Standing up helps keep the meeting short!

Agile Framework: Scrum and Kanban.

Purpose: Stand-up is designed to quickly inform everyone of what's going on across the team. It's not a detailed status meeting. The tone should be light and fun, but informative. Have each team member answer the following questions:

What did I complete yesterday?

What will I work on today?

Am I blocked by anything?

There's an implicit accountability in reporting what work you completed yesterday in front of your peers. No one wants to be the team member who is constantly doing the same thing and not making progress.

ProTip: Some teams use timers to keep everyone on track. Others toss a ball across the team to make sure everyone's paying attention. Many distributed teams use videoconferencing or group chat to close the distance gap. Your team is unique. Your stand up should be, too!

https://www.atlassian.com/agile/ceremonies

ASA1212
Report Abuse

Steve,

Here's a blog post you might find helpful: http://developware.com/the-morning-jolt/

Have a GREAT day!

Dawn Marie

Please to use this feature.
posts for website administrator (optional):