logo

Forums allow you you to communicate directly with other Second Wind members and receive their advice or guidance on any topic. This is a great way to tap into the power of our community which includes thousands of agency principals and employees.

Add a new Topic
Select Category:

Agency Software Woes

FORUMS

• Recent Posts
  • Most Recent
  • Most Active
  • Categories
15 posts
Heather Mangold
Report Abuse

So frustrated by our project management software, which shall remain nameless. They are rolling out new subscription models to "make room for new features" yet can't seem to fix the most basic of issues out there. Things that are considered part of doing business for SaaS these days.

Mobile friendly design so you can actually use the CRM functionality in the field when you need a phone number.

Custom fields so you can make some meaningful workarounds where needed.

Reoccurring tasks and expenses so we don't have to calendar these independently and fear that they slip through the cracks.

Not too much to ask in my opinion.

What's everyone using, how do they like it? And is it truly a company that continues to grow and improve their product not just roll out a "new feature" that is simply a new view of old functionality? Because I've already got that!

-Heather

Vince
Report Abuse

Hi Heather. I have been working these very matters for 30 years. Let me know if you'd like me to give you a free call. Sincerely, Vince Dong

Beth James
Report Abuse

We've been using Monday for the last 9 months (after switching from Teamwork). It's extremely customizable and is working great for us so far. The mobile app works well too. Hope that helps!

Lyn
Report Abuse

We have the same frustrations... not sure if you're using what we are using... but I'm HIGHLY frustrated with our PM software,

Following this stream to see what others are using.

~Lyn

EmmaSwift
Report Abuse

We customized our own project management system in Podio and while it was a little bit of lift to get started because we created the environment, we're SUPER thrilled with how it's working for our company. We were able to customize everything based on our how our process works instead of having to change our process to accommodate PM software. And there are no "new feature" rollouts because the system is just for us. They were also really helpful in getting us started and walking our staff through how we could set things up.

https://podio.com/site/use-cases/project-management

Steve Gray
Report Abuse

Following this thread with interest as well.

Up to this point, we have used a combination of 3-4 different products bundled together; but that Frankenstein approach is no longer going to work for us.  Have been researching and am strongly considering Workamajig.  Would be interested in hearing about any positive or negative experiences with them

Vince
Report Abuse

Hi Steve. I am ALL about reverse engineering when choosing a program. Better to have the software work for you instead of the opposite. Happy to have you call me and bounce your needs off of me as I work withe the four principal programs in the industry. Sincerely, Vince Dong

FMG
Report Abuse

Following this thread. Curious to know for how many of you; " it's important that the PM side syncs with the accounting side"?

Sharon Hayes
Report Abuse

We're in the same boat of needing a new system. I'd really love to have something that allowed solid SOP integration AND analytics. We're doing way too much work manually now (or ignoring it) because it's not automated.

David Allred
Report Abuse

These systems really are only as good as what you put into them. However, we have found success with Trello because it's very easy (and cost effective) for all participants to actively participate.

Adam Fox
Report Abuse

I have three suggestions, all radically different:

1. Workfront (formerly AtTask). It's what we use, and good. Cost is about 15K+ though due to minimum set numbers.

2. Goggle sheets. This is actually more doable than you'd think. Check out what Webris has done. They might be an SEO-focused company, but their PM system with interlinking google sheets is good. You can pay $500 for theirs plus training, or check out this link that gives you a great sheet for free at the end https://codingisforlosers.com/project-management-google-sheets/

3. Basecamp. It's pretty simple, but affordable and good for client communication.

Heather Mangold
Report Abuse

Seems like I struck a nerve! ;) To the accounting question, I think it depends on what you mean by "syncs" because currently, the software I am using has an integration, but it is meaningless.

The number one thing that would help on the accounting integration is billing. I don't know that it's as important to run your true financials in a PM software, but to get the revenue/billings into it is critical. Right now that is manual/dual entry, generating timesheet reports/invoices out of the PM software and rekeying in Quickbooks.

Vince
Report Abuse

Hi Heather. Four answers; The Jig. Advantage, eSP and C&P. You will never get a 100% solution. Look for 90%-95% and you'll be good. Happy to help advise you as I am also a CPA.

Deborah
Report Abuse

For full integration we use Workamajig.  It took a while but once you understand the system it works pretty good.  We use it for PM and Accounting so it gives us everything at month end without having to key in all the accounting numbers and match up the P&L (like Quickbooks).  It syncs up all GL accounts-income and expense - and we get tons of reporting.  Its saves us so much time in tax season-all the reports and backups are in the system-going through that now.

Don't get me wrong we have our frustrations at times but the issues are pretty quickly resolved through support.  Initially it was tough but if you learn the system, use the help and search features you can figure it out. We have been on it for over 5 years so there may be newer programs out there that work just as well.

Rusty Griffith
Report Abuse

We are also using Jig.  It is a pretty robust system, BUT you must take the time to understand it and set it up correctly.  It can be pretty flexible for your business if you set it up correctly.  I have found that from the accounting side (I'm a CPA and CFO), it will give you what you put into it, i.e., set up your chart of accounts correctly, use departments and classes to your advantage, setup customers correctly, e.g., don't use a different "company" for divisions of a client, but rather set up a parent company to consolidate.  There are many other things to set up, so roll up your sleeves, think about what you need, then go forward.  Jig is very helpful on the setup/questions/problems side of things, so use them to your advantage for training and troubleshooting.

One of the great things about Jig is that you can track activity from a "lead" status, through an estimate and proposal process right on into becoming a client.  If set up correctly, all that will flow through the system.  Like any other system, of course, the old GIGO adage applies.  The more complete and accurate the data you enter, the more the system will do for you.

I have been a QuickBooks Online user.  It is a simple sytsem to understand, but it is a single entry system directed toward small business, although it can certainly handle a pretty sizable business.  You will NOT have the kind of controls you can get with a true accounting system.

Please to use this feature.
posts for website administrator (optional):