logo

Forums allow you you to communicate directly with other Second Wind members and receive their advice or guidance on any topic. This is a great way to tap into the power of our community which includes thousands of agency principals and employees.

Add a new Topic
Select Category:

Flex work Arrangements

FORUMS

• Recent Posts
  • Most Recent
  • Most Active
  • Categories
5 posts
Jose_Perez
Report Abuse

We are looking into ways of incorporating Flex work in our agency. Please share your experiences—good or bad. What are some of the ways your agency is implementing flex work? Is you agency differentiating flex time work from remote work? How did you start (trial or full commitment)? Have you made this an agency policy or it loosely implemented?

Adam Fox
Report Abuse

Ours was loosely implemented, we have both. It always causes a least some resentment (for no good reason) and ultimately we let go of some people who couldn't handle not physically seeing people looking busy (we're glad they're gone). Flex time is a real benefit to people with kids, elderly parents, houses under renovation, sick dogs, etc.

As long as they get their work done, we're good. We let people work different hours (especially web devs, creatives, and digital). That lets people who want to power through and then crash. Everyone who works flex time puts in more than the average.

We also have remote workers locally (come in for meeting sometimes), in the Philippines, and out of state (workers who moved away due to spouses). Webex helps. Yes they aren't as tied-in, but most of our clients are out of state anyway.

Trial is best. Super clear expectations is key. So is killing any griping.

Jose_Perez
Report Abuse

Thank you, Adam. Very insightful. I will share this with our team in our next meeting.

Jose

Marbury
Report Abuse

I'll provide a different perspective. About a year ago we started work from home (WFH) every other Monday. I wanted to try it out and see if it increased or decreased productivity. The biggest benefit is not having to drive through traffic - you essentially get 1-2 hours a day “back” - hopefully 1-2 hours more of productivity, or at least better-rested work. The biggest issue is that the goals of accomplishing tasks are not being met. No matter what people set out to do on WFH day, more often than not, it's still on their list the next day to “finish.” We’re trying to tighten down on that -- set tasks that can be done in a day with a little less interruption, and track it. It seems to be much more efficient for the designers than the account teams. Basically, we are finding that people use WFH day as a “half time day” — where they can run errands and take care of home stuff “while they work.” Not sure I want to (or can) take it back. But we just need to be real about what really happens on WFH day.

By the way, I have spoken to MANY company owners who share that “once you let the genie out of the bottle, you can’t put it back in.” So I would recommend trying it out with 1-2 days per month. A few friends just let people decide whenever they want to work from home, and they lament the decision. Hope this helps and that all the WFH'ers are not offended! LOL!

Krista
Report Abuse

We started our flex time Jan 1 2018. The way we set it up is: Everyone has to work from 9-4 - those are our core hours. That is when employees know to schedule meetings. And everyone has to work their 40 hours. How they accomplish it is up to them. They can come in early and leave at 4. They can come in at 9 and leave anytime after 4. They can skip a lunch if they just want to work their 8 hours and be done for the day. As someone else mentioned, this has worked out great for folks to run errands, take kids to school and just take care of personal stuff. This has been very well accepted. If they want to be off anytime from 9-4, they put in for PTO.

Please to use this feature.
posts for website administrator (optional):