logo

Forums allow you you to communicate directly with other Second Wind members and receive their advice or guidance on any topic. This is a great way to tap into the power of our community which includes thousands of agency principals and employees.

Add a new Topic
Select Category:
AE College: Spring

ADA Compliance for Websites

FORUMS

• Recent Posts
  • Most Recent
  • Most Active
  • Categories
6 posts
JL Faverio
Report Abuse

I was unable to find a way to search your forum, so please excuse me if this has already been discussed.

I'm interested to learn anyone's experience with implementing ADA Compliance standards on client websites - in any industry.

Do you have a preferred tool or checklist you can share or recommend?

The ADA website itself (https://www.ada.gov/) isn't much help ironically, and there are so many unofficial tools out there, so it's difficult to know where to start.

Any questions please feel free to ask. This is my first post here and I'm a new member of Second Wind. Thanks!

FreshRobot
Report Abuse

Hey JL,

I'd be happy to tell you about our experiences and tools we have used.

Feel free to reach out to me.

JED
Report Abuse

Hi JL, 508 compliance is the standard required of any organization that receives federal funding. It is the toughest standard I know about for ADA compliance. There are several free 508 compliance checkers out there and using this as your standard for design/build projects gives you a lot of extra SEO value as well. If Screen Readers can make sense of your page it will be easier for Google too ;0)

Happy to chat more if its useful - j.eddy@eddyalexander.com

~ Jenn

Janice Tippett
Report Abuse

Hello, I would be very interested in this also. There are more legal cases every day. How do we protect ourselves and our clients? Most clients do not need 508 compliance. As noted above ADA website is not helpful. I have seen some websites that "check" Any suggestions or tips greatly appreciated. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/18/arts/design/blind-lawsuits-art-galleries.html

Element Creative
Report Abuse

https://goelement.com/blog/how-to-tell-if-your-website-is-ada-compliant/

Element Creative

goelement.com

Amy Clifford
Report Abuse

We recently completed a site with 508 compliance specifications.  www.chugachgov.com. We put our staff through training and then used this site as our first real test of capabilities.  The site is awesome, works perfectly, meets all the client expectations and is 508 compliant. The lesson we learned is that its critically important to select the right tool to measure the site's compliance with ADA levels. Some of the tools have standards that are way above ADA requirements and certain elements on your site can be flagged as "out of compliance" even though it is above ADA requirements.  If anyone wants to talk with our development team and share ideas, or if you are interested in contracting with us to build this portion of your site out, feel free to call at 907-569-7070 or email at laurie@msialaska.com.

Laurie Fagnani, President, MSI Communications,

Please to use this feature.
posts for website administrator (optional):